Thursday, March 24, 2011

No Extubation Today

Just a quick update from Kristin:

Jason and I listened in on the doctors' rounds today, and we learned that Sam has a little fluid around his lungs; it's called a pleural effusion (not sure if I spelled that correctly), and it's a common issue after heart surgery. They can drain it, but they'll have to put a chest tube back in, and they'll have to hold off on the extubation until tomorrow.

The good news is that Sam is still far ahead of the curve; he's only three days post-op, and most Norwood babies are intubated for five to seven days, and sometimes longer. In the words of our doctor, he is still "fabuloso."

Also, he's a bit feistier today than he has been for the last few days. As my friend Anne was talking to him this morning and calling him "a fighter," he kept pumping his little fists. He actually made the "A-okay" sign with his fingers. Keep it up, little guy.

As for me, I went outside for the first time in a week to take a short walk around the hospital. I breathed non-hospital air and felt the sun on my face. In a word, it was fabuloso.

8 comments:

  1. How wonderful that the doctor calls Sam "fabuloso". That's great, even if he has to have a chest tube again.
    He is really an awesome little man :)
    (I mean Sam, not the doctor *grin*)

    Isn't it good to feel the sun on your face? Well done ... you need the fresh air!

    Continued prayers for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're thinking of you...and so glad Sam is doing so well (and that you got out of the hospital today, Kris!). Love you lots, Allie & Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin,
    I can't wait to hear about the day where you get to take Sam out for some fresh air and sun! Keep your face toward it.
    Love,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy to hear he is doing well. Of course he is a fist-pumping-in-the-air kind of guy. I know this because I've met his parents. Take care of yourself and each other. I hope I can stop by during Spring break and see little Samuel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jason it was good to see you today. Kristin, I'm sorry we missed you, but I glad you got out of the hospital. For such a large building, it can start to feel pretty small pretty quickly.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammi T. ( a mom of an HLHS boy)March 24, 2011 at 9:26 PM

    Glad to hear that Samuel is still ahead of the curve and that you were able to get outside the hospital to take a walk and breathe some fresh air. Will continue to pray for Samuel and for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristin, sam's Jewish mothah needs anothah update!

    ReplyDelete