It's Jason. Trying to keep this super brief. Because there's so much to tell about the last couple days, I (or Kristin) will need a pretty substantial entry to encompass it all. On the other hand, I know people want to know how we're doing. So...until we have time to elaborate in a more substantial entry, here's the most important stuff.
The last few days have been long and drama-filled. Nonetheless, Sam is recovering pretty well.
1) He's more alert than ever; they even canceled his home PT because his developmental markers all look so good!
2) His G-tube site looks good and appears to be functioning properly. Now he's able to take his feeds in an hour or less. Also, with his reflux effectively stopped, his vitals (including his oxygen sats and heart rate) have been much, much more stable.
3) His last heart echo looked great.
4) He is entirely off oxygen support, and the doctors have started weaning some other meds (specifically Lasix).
5) I almost don't want to say this for fear of jinxing it, but the word "discharge" has been ringing in the air. And this time they are not talking about messy diapers. Nothing has been decided yet, but we are hopeful...
6) In the meantime, Kristin and I are getting a crash course in caring for a cardiac baby with a G-tube at home...by ourselves...a great stress to have.
That's the most important stuff for now. Will fill you in on the details when I have more time and energy. Right now, Sam's binky has fallen out of his mouth, and I have the honor of retrieving it for him for the umpteenth time tonight. :) Night all.
Until next time, Sam says, "Phlbtttth!"